✓ RPA Challenge 1 - Robot Plagiarist

Hey everyone!
Here is our first challenge! This challenge should be doable even for beginners. But also advanced developers can train their brains on this – in my opinion – fun task!


Robot will take a text document with an article (or section of book or speech, anything) and modifies it with help of Thesaurus by replacing words with synonyms, keeping the meaning same but changing the words.

Use any thesaurus you like: You can use just typing to Google “thesaurus word” to get synonyms, or thesaurus.com, similar websites or even use the Microsoft Word thesaurus.

Think about how your robot will work. This is a great challenge to practice string operations. Some words may not have a synonym. Let’s see how your robot will go! :slight_smile:

It does not have to be perfect! :slight_smile:

Here is a file with sample input texts:
InputTexts.docx (14.7 KB)

How to participate

When you are happy with your robot:

  • post output processed by robot as a post
  • send .xaml file as a private message directly to me

First three correct, original solvers earn 3 robopoints, next get 1 robopoint.
I will hold a leaderboard with your score and update it. Those on top positions will be badged by a special challenger badge :slight_smile:

Challenge deadline is 21.3. by the end of the day. You can still submit your projects after the deadline but you cannot earn robopoints. New challenge is published every week or 2 weeks so don’t worry if you did not catch this one. Keep in mind, your submitted files may be published after the deadline so others can learn from solutions. :slight_smile:

Make sure you set a Watching First Post so you don’t miss every new challenge!

Good Luck!


Wow, funny challenge :smiley: , it took me longer, than I would expect.
My robot is not perfect, he skips some words but overall works good I think. Here is text result.
Plagiator results.docx (14.2 KB)


Okay, here it is!! My robot worked fine even the meaning of sentences is not so accurate as original :smiley: It is more destroyer than plagiator.

results.docx (14.0 KB)


Hello, so after I did the Robot ICT RPA foundation course this week it took me 10 minutes to build this process!! I’m not so happy how the text got translated, I was using https://www.csgenerator.com/ … but it’s very fast.

I used UIPath for this:


Very simple process and I actually hardcode the input and didn’t export the output to a text fileoutput.txt (1.2 KB)

Looking forward for the next challange!



Fun project!
challenge1.zip (49.3 KB)


Time is up! :timer_clock:

I would like to thank all participants of this unusual challenge. All 4 solvers’ solutions are correct.
It is interesting how each of you went by differently. :clap:
@radim.dom - used thesaurus website with great results, going word by word with some conditions. Great solution, and also 1st solver! +3 robopoints
@anna.hal - used similar way as @radim.dom with different thesaurus. Also nice solution that took some effort! +3 robopoints
@johannesvanwijk - took a shorter path by finding a website that can do most of the job. However, it was not prohibited, and resulted in fairly good new output text. +3 robopoints
@pmontez - as only from our 4 participants challenged this with Python and API call on to another service. Great and very nice approach Pierre! You included your code in the post, so we can get an inspiration. +1 robopoint (as being 4th)

I would like to share the solution of @anna.hal - Main.xaml (16.0 KB)

You can keep track of your points here. :robot:

Even now after the deadline, you can always try to solve this solution by yourself and share how you did it, share your results! :slight_smile:


Well done! Great you’re using Python!